Day 35 (of 186) closer to “the dream” thanks to @cuebc
I was excited to hear that a delivery arrived from @cuebc (computer using educators of British Columbia) a loaner pack of a dozen iPads and Spheros.
With what I have in my room currently, it means I am close to being 1:1 for students with tech – something I had about 11 years ago – and something I’ve been chasing ever since…..because:
- I have seen tech infused classrooms (iBooks then iPads now) create a collaborative culture
- It enables authentic inquiry (Love exploring GarageBand together to see who learns how to do what and seeing them teach everybody else
- Differentiation. I miss the level of differentiation I lost when I had to return to the lab-setup and students not seeing it as a place of learning (as they did with tech infused with the classroom) but as a room to visit once in awhile (and too often to create “good copies” of already worked-on Work)
- Having students use the tablet as a way to think outside of the box (eyes lit up when I mentioned photos and movies!)
- Emphasizing my in-class rule: tool or toy? Tools enhance learning while toys distract learning.
- And after hearing several comments including (but not limited to) “its an iPad not a wePad” (re collaboration)) and “its just for watching things” whereas I have created a lot aka creating vs consuming.
- Doubters, I know there are many for using tech in class – but I know my Apple II worked miracles for me…so for doubters….
(As Gary Larson said to his critics)
Gonna be a great next while!