Day 148 (of 185) Taking care of the basics #blog4MH
Our counsellor sent us a good reminder at this time of year: Maslows Hierarchy of Needs:
This becomes paramount when:
- our disrtict-learning-community is struggling with water. Boil advisories, water-quality alerts are everywhere
- sleep is being more challenged than ever because of the glow of video screens (and I do want to thank the tech companies that are creating ‘night screen settings’ to help decrease the “wake up” lights that are impacting the nights…..now to take on youtube and stumbleupon….
It’s also important to be aware that:
- while “end of year traditions” are important….they also symbolize the end to many feeling a sense of love/belonging to the classroom or school (and a reminder that summer vacation doesn’t have positive memories for all….)
- suicide is on the rise. No-one likes to talk about it, but it is:
So it’s important to:
- have water
- move…..outdoors if/when possible
- acknowledge music has power (both good and bad)
- work hard to identify if you are doing something you NEED to do, or just WANT to do
- reflect. what was, what is your mindset
- know that it’s okay that others have different thinkings than you (and at different times) – that exciting field trip may be very fear-inducing!
- sometimes people just need to talk….and letting them talk doesn’t mean you have to solve their problems
- be mindful….take (and use) time as a tool (I never rush problem solving in my office)
Its always good to stop and reflect on why Maslow created the pyramid the way he did….it helps with self-care which enables the care for others.