Day 189 (of 188) top 5s (not in any order)
Top 5 hits
- My son finally identified some successful self regulation strategies for his anxiety (helped him go to dentist and cope with moving houses!)
- Saw some great provincial movement on eportfolios and descriptive formative feedback
- Took a risk & missed for another in-district position but was supported to be Pres of our local PVP association!
- Expanding my #PLN including retweeted from @yongzhaoUO that got my Supe to pay for me to go to a conference & getting @daisydyerduerr on the presentation list for this Octobers @bcpvpa Connecting Leaders conference!
- Being able to balance a strong promotion of technology along with physical literacy, self regulation and strong basic skills (ie reading sight words) not exclusive ideologies!
Top 5 misses
- Always feeling ‘a month behind’ and being exhausted, in part because last summer just didn’t feel right (job action right before, during and after) = looking forward to a mental break THIS summer!
- Being told that a letter of reference may have helped an application process I applied for (just wait for this follow up!)
- My daughter telling me about her T/F MC finals……reflecting what happens in classrooms?
- Didn’t get much provincial movement on anxiety – had my rant https://technolandy.wordpress.com/2015/05/01/day-150-of-188-my-anxiety-rant-edited-continued-blog4mh-anxiety/ but I want more for anxiety in education
- Single platform discussions. Sigh.
Top 5 things
- Teacher job action resolved so that my oldest will graduate before the next contract debate.
- Seeing the awareness of my colleagues looking beyond ‘the usual 3’ for school goals (had a colleague present how his staff looked beyond Language Arts/Numeracy/Social Responsibility and instead focused on the reasons: attendance, mental wellness, physical wellness etc
- Having to defend a report that showed about 40% of my population is at risk for mental wellness issues – as high as some ‘higher risk’ schools, but lower discipline rates (how do you suspend someone for self regulation issues when self regulation IS your school goal?)
- Having some need twitter connections and then having Face2Face meetings (one of the secret features of asynchronous #PLNs is that it helps enhance when face to face meetings occur
- Getting some praise – I’m not good at this, but it did stop me in my tracks when a superintendent came up to me at a conference and said that he had a regret when I was up for a job (many years ago) and they passed on me – would’ve been very interesting since I was offered a job I did take while driving home from that interview! Interesting story that requires a late night!
Top 5 “what I’m looking forward to this summer”
- ShortCourse with @bcpvpa at UBC (I get to work with a group of new PVPs for a week at UBC)
- Preparing for my @ignite35
- Reading – some fiction and nonfiction (to be part of my Summer Of Learning blogs!)
- Family time! Mariners, Sounders, traveling together
- Moving to a new house with Air Conditioning (been 40/105 today and we move in a few more sleeps!) and being a happier family!!